Exit-entry policy for Shanghai's construction of science - technology innovation center
I. Overseas talent standards
1. Let the market decide the salary and taxes of talent from overseas adjusted to salary standards. The 2015 standards have an annual salary above 600,000 yuan and tax above 120,000 yuan.
2. Anyone with talent management authority or special talent, from Hong Kong and Macao is free from the age-60 limit.
3. Talented foreigners of Hong Kong and Macao residents on the science and technology innovation list or high-level professionals vouched for by technology innovation companies with Shanghai accreditation are free from the age-60 limit.
II. Overseas talent applying for permanent residence
1. The applicant's income and tax level should meet standards and the person must have worked in Shanghai for four consecutive years, with no fewer than six months every year and have a recommendation from the company.
2. Talent from abroad with talent administration accreditation can apply for a Talent Work Permit, valid for five years and can apply for permanent residency after working for three years and being recommended by the company. The evaluation time is 90 days.
3. Professionals hired and vouched for by businesses on the science and technology innovation list can apply for a Talent Work Permit valid for five years by showing the work contract and other evidence and can apply for permanent residency after working for three years and being recommended by the company. The evaluation time is 90 days.
III. Talent from abroad applying for an R (talent) visa
Talented personnel with a certificate from the talent administration or companies on the science and technology innovation list can apply for an R-visa with Shanghai port. Other visa holders with the above-mentioned certificate can apply for the R-visa with the Shanghai exit-entry authority.
IV. Foreign students applying for residence permit
In the past, foreign students needed at least two years of work experience to work in China, but the new Public Security Ministry policy now allows foreign students interested in innovation or starting a business in Shanghai can work in Shanghai right after graduation and apply for a residence permit. The new rule says that foreign students can submit a diploma and innovation or business plan or a certificate to apply for a residence permit with a validity of two years and can use the time to do an internship or innovation and business start-up activities. If they are hired, they could apply for a work residence permit.
V. Simplifying entry and residence procedures for foreigners
Previously, foreigners had to have an employment or expert’s permit and leave China and get a work visa from a Chinese embassy abroad before working in China. Now, the Public Security Ministry has simplified the procedure and allows Shanghai port to issue a work visa. The new rule says that foreigners outside China with a work permit can apply for a work visa with Shanghai port. Those in Shanghai with an employment certificate can apply for a 1-year work permit with the Ministry’s exit and entry department then get employment and foreign expert papers later.
VI. Foreigners investing, innovating or starting a business in Shanghai applying for a visa and residence permit
Foreigners who come to Shanghai for investment, innovation or starting a business but do not have time to get a work certificate, can apply for an S-visa by submitting an investment or business plan and support documents, then bring related materials to apply for a residence permit with the Ministry of Public Security’s exit and entry administration.
VII. Expanding the range of long-term residence applications
Previously, only high-level talent from abroad and investors could apply for a residence permit valid for 2-5 years, but the new policy expands the range of long-term residence permits so foreigners can enjoy a more stable life in Shanghai. The new rule says that foreigners working in Shanghai who apply for a work residence permit twice and abide by Chinese law can apply for a permit valid for 5 years.
VIII. Expand entry applications for non-Shanghai residents
Previously, people without a permanent Shanghai residence permit were classified in seven groups and could apply for an exit-entry permit depending on the group. To apply, insurance coverage for no less than a year, and a student certificate or original residence permit were needed. The new rule says that people without a permanent Shanghai residence permit can apply for an exit-entry certificate by showing their residence permit and 2nd-generation ID card. Other certificates are no longer required and insurance is not reviewed.
Ⅸ. Hong Kong and Macao talent and families living in Shanghai
Previously, Hong Kong and Macao residents applying for residence in Shanghai had to have had a permanent Shanghai residence permit and Public Security Ministry approval. The new rule says that Hong Kong and Macao residents with a mainland pass and certificate from the talent administration or STIC-accredited businesses can apply for Shanghai residence and the spouse and children under 18 with a mainland pass can apply as well. Talented personnel from Hong Kong and Macao and their families can apply to the public security’s exit-entry administration. The procedure takes no more than 20 working days.
X. High-level foreign talent hiring foreign housekeepers
Previously, foreigners were not allowed to have housekeeping services. The new rule says that talented people from abroad with certain standards and a permanent residence or work permit can apply for their housekeepers for a residence permit. Any family can hire a foreign housekeeper by submitting an employment contract, financial support, personal insurance and health certificates.
35 measures to promote talent development in PudongPudong in Shanghai released 35 measures on April 3 to promote the development of talented personnel.